Every fall the Project Play Therapy team gets out to celebrate and walk to support the work of Autism Speaks, a national organization who provides advocacy, training, support and education on behalf of the autism community. At Project Play Therapy, we provide therapeutic services to children on the autism spectrum every day – and we were so excited to join the group in downtown Nashville who walked on behalf of these children and their families.
In order to support and continue to help in developing awareness, we’d like to share some facts about autism:
Did You Know?
- According to the Centers for Disease Control, autism affects an estimated 1 in 54 children in the United States today.
- There is no one kind of autism – so, each child diagnosed is uniquely special and different.
- Signs of autism usually appear between ages 2 and 3, with more boys being diagnosed than girls each year.
- Research has proven that high quality, early intervention can assist children diagnosed in building key skills.
- Autism spectrum disorder, also known as ASD, is one of the most common developmental disabilities in the world.
- ASD is reported to occur in all racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups.
- According to a study by The Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, there is a strong link between children with autism and creativity.
It was so wonderful to connect and support the autism community in Nashville. Our team loves dearly the children with autism (and their families) that we have the pleasure to partner with, and we look forward to supporting them next year!
Click HERE to find out more about our therapies, and how they could help your family.